Saturday, July 29, 2006

A Firm Decision is Reached

Yesterday I heard the eerie human voice a second time, once again promising the ants "great strength" in return for their unfettered obedience and worship. I fear that this will ultimately prove ill for myself and for the ants, though I am less concerned for the welfare of those insects to be honest with you.

Today I charted the movements of the General ant. While the population was genuflecting and the human voice sang its haunting doggerel, I noted that this sneaky blighter slouched off by himself and, unseen by the other ants, approached a Bossert statue near to my bedroom door. This he tickled with his mandibles until its tiny eyes blinked open and its mouth stiltingly began to move.

I leaned in closer and heard a whispering from the statue. This is what was heard:

Om Mani Padme Hum! Keep up the good work Comrade Frack - you have brought me 10 thousand souls as I have commanded. For this you will be rewarded. And yet, Comrade Frack, before I can grant you your reward, I require more. Bring to me one more devoted soul and I will give to you the secret of the Cube. This soul must be human. Just one human soul. I'm sure you know where you must look to find this. Bring him to me, and the secret of the Cube is yours. Om Mani Padme Hum!

With that, the traitorous General scurried back and joined the congregation. This surprising and disturbing turn of events has led me to the inescapable conclusion that I must leave the house and buy some ant spray.

Shouldn't have put it off for so long really.

No comments: