Friday, January 26, 2007

Beeton's Treats

I am still officially convalescing so have upped my usual food intake to include more restorative recipes. I turned to my grandmother's well-thumbed copy of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management and looked for some meals suitable for invalids. If you have misplaced your own grandmother's copy of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management or cannot be bothered to fetch it from your loft, then here is a weblink which you may click to see some of her recipes for the crippled and infirm: http://www.mrsbeeton.com/39-chapter39.html

All of the recipes comprising the chapter 'Invalid Cookery' looked delightful, particularly 'Barley Gruel' and 'Calf's Foot Broth', but I found myself limited in my stock of available ingredients. I did have the relevant components to make her recipe for 'nutritious coffee' (i.e., coffee and milk) and 'toast and water' (i.e., toast and water) and 'toast sandwiches' (i.e., toast and raw toast(bread)), so made up these treats and tucked in.

Good old Mrs Beeton saw me right - her delicious meals returned some of my lost strength, as did the Ibuprofen which I also took.

No comments: