Friday, February 17, 2006

Anxious to Impress

The Scholars will be here tomorrow, or rather today, for it is now the early hours of Friday the 17th. I have prepared some conversation so that I may appear erudite to the Academics, so that I might not shame myself through my comparative dearth of intelligence. To this end, I have been leafing through Trivial Pursuit questions all day, and even ate a few of the little wedges of cheese/pie that accompany the game, to ensure that I am in an appropriately intellectual frame of mind for the big day.

I also re-familiarised myself with the publisher's blurb on the back of my copies of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot. Should the conversation veer towards the vicinity of fine literature, I shall now be well equipped to hold my own.

Alternatively, the discussion may drift towards scientific knowledge, so I have memorised pi to 17 decimal places and looked up what a bunsen burner is.

I do hope all will go well tomorrow.

No comments: